When I want to generate usernames from real names, which can contain non-ascii characters, you can’t simply ignore the unicode characters. For instance, email@example.com is the right e-mail address for Daniëlle, firstname.lastname@example.org isn’t.
There’s trick. Unicode has got a single code for ë itself, but it has also got a code which (simplified) adds ¨ on top of the previous character. The unicode standard defines a normal form in which (at least) all such characters, which can be, are represented using such modifiers. If you then simply ignore the non-ascii representable codes, you’ll get the desired result.
unicodedata.normalize('NFKD', txt).encode('ASCII', 'ignore').
However, this isn’t the right solution. For instance, in german, one prefers ue as a replacement of ü over u.
When decoding, for instance, a variable-bitrate MP3, gstreamer reported durations are, to say the least, estimates. I’ve tried to get a better result in a few ways. First off, some files yield a
duration tag, but even if you’re lucky and it is there, there are no guaranties about precision. After that I tried seeking to the end (
GST_SEEK_END) of the stream and querying the position, which gstreamer didn’t like. Finally, routing the audio into a
fakesink, waiting for the end of stream and then querying for the position gives the right result. It’s not the prettiest method, but it works.
This is a Python script that prints the duration of a media to stdout.
is ugly, but is nice! The solution: prefix
DisallowTCP = false under
/etc/X11/Sessions/Gnome/custom.conf or similar for other window managers. Obviously this isn’t a very desirable solution,
emerge --emptytree gnome might do the trick too.
(and obviously this might be just one of the many underlying causes for the very generic symptom of X not accepting connections)
When Java applications crash on linux with
xcb_xlib_unlock: Assertion `c->xlib.lock' failed you should upgrade to
libxcb-1.1 and add
LIBXCB_ALLOW_SLOPPY_LOCK=1 to the environment.